Yes 2013 will be the year of the jacket! I know 2013 has already started some time ago, but these things need time to mature, don’t you think?
It had all started with this jacket I discovered more than a year ago when I bought a bundle of old issues of Burda magazine. This one dates from October 2007 and I love the circles lines (they’re not pocket by the way).
And then, last monday, when I came back from a weekend in my family for Easter, what did I have in my mailbox: the Pavot coat pattern by Deer & Doe. It was actually a surprise gift for my birthday from my wonderful friends of knitting group (Thanks a lot Lucy, Catherine and Martine!).
So yes, how can 2013 not be the year of the jacket?
I’m starting with the Burda jacket, though it’s not the easiest one, I think the Pavot is easier but I had already started tracing my pattern and cutting fabric for a muslin, so it will have to be the Burda one. I’m not sure which one will be the most difficult between Anise and Burda: the Anise has more technical difficulties (I’ve seen some of them when I bought the Anise companion upon pattern release), but the challenge with Burda often lies in the instructions…
So on to my muslin: I cut a size 42 in a rather heavy cotton twill, originally intended for something else. But as you can see, some lines appeared after my initial washing of the fabric: the dye has faded in some areas (see why you should always pre-wash your fabric, imagine that happening once I had done the whole jacket??).
There are 13 pieces to this jacket and lots of curved seams: they were my first challenge, and I’m already glad that this is only a muslin. I will have to take extra care in cutting the fabric and transferring the markings. And for once I will transfer the stitching lines too. As I have learned already, a minor imprecision in the cutting or sewing of the side half circles pieces result in ugly misalignment.
Many notches are necessary after the first seams and some pressing is required too. I tried the jacket on after these first steps and the armholes might need to be deepened a little. Unfortunately this is the biggest size available, so I’ll have to change the pattern myself. I’ll see once I’ve set the sleeves in, no need to worry just now.